Saturday, May 02, 2009

Matt's Chat: A Couple of Rebuttal Points on Husted

I don't have time to do a full blown response to the pro-Husted piece, but I appreciate Kyle and his anonymous contributor for putting it together. The point of WMD is to generate discussion and I think it is very important that we have a healthy and vigorous debate on Mr. Husted.

ECONOMY

While the writer, makes a storng sounding case for Husted on these issues, she doesn't address two things that are very obvious -- at least to me.

First: In the years since the CAT Tax was enacted under Husted's watch, Ohio's Business Climate hasn't improved much. We're still at the bottom.

Second: While it is true that the state projected that the CAT would create 78,500 jobs (in the tax collection industry?), the writer fails to mention how many jobs Ohio has LOST since CAT was enacted. I suspect that that number is significantly higher than 78,500.

GUNS:

As I said in my original post, I wasn't real sure what the position the gun folks would take on Husted's position on the bill I cited. The only reason why I question it, is that we'll be hearing about how Kasich voted for an assault weapons ban under similar circumstances.

SURRENDERING TO DEMOCRATS:

Curious that she had absolutely nothing to say about this at all...maybe she thinks Democrats, Greens and Independents will be okay with this stuff, but I really don't think Republicans ought to let it slide.

LACK OF RESPECT TO ELECTORATE:

This residency issue has legs. It will come back. It will not go away. Somebody is going to have to present a defense for how Husted can claim to live in Kettering yet has a kilowatt usage that is a mere fraction of what someone who actually lives in his neighborhood uses.

Now, I am sure that Husted is following the letter of the law. It is the spirit of the law that I question. Each voter needs to see the facts, and then make a determination for themselves what that means for Husted's political future.

CONCLUSION:

I find it curious the things that get covered and the things that get swept under the rug.

I look forward to continued discussions with anonymous fans who write for other blogs! :)

UPDATE 1: Just as an aside on the gun issue, Buckeye Firearms Association has NOT endorsed anyone for Secretary of State as of this time. Kyle's writer has chosen poor word selection which is a common rookie mistake...we've all made them...but I wanted to make sure that the record was clear on this point too.