Sunday, February 22, 2004

Friday's Press Briefing Funny

From the White House Press Briefing Room:
MR. McCLELLAN: Good afternoon. I have one announcement and then I'll be glad to go to questions. And, wow, another rare appearance here today. I'm honored.

Q: I'm being punished. (Laughter.)

MR. McCLELLAN: Me, too. (Laughter.)

Matt's Chat

Good to see that Scotty is regaining a sense of humor about his lot in life...

But, the real news is this:
Q The California Coastal Commission has ruled against the construction of a security fence along the California-Mexico border adjacent to the Pacific Ocean. And they did it on the basis of environmental reasons. Considering it's a high-traffic area for illegal immigration and border crossing, and considering that the military establishments there in the San Diego area, is the White House or the administration going to overrule the commission? They do have the power to do that.

MR. McCLELLAN: : I'm not familiar with the specifics of the report you're talking about. It's something that was constructed by the Border Patrol?

Q Well, there's a proposal to construct and secure a fence along the southern border there that's a high-traffic area.

MR. McCLELLAN: : Proposal by?

Q By the Homeland Security.

MR. McCLELLAN: Okay. You might want to check with them and get the latest update on that from their Border Security folks.


To which I say, again, "Mr. President, BUILD that wall!" Actually, this is quite the surprise to me. I had no idea this was actually being proposed.