Wednesday, February 18, 2004

It's Cheney

From Yahoo News:

Dick Cheney is only six years older than President Bush, but his long government resume and graying presence helped offset the Texas governor's lack of seasoning and foreign policy experience in 2000.

Those same avuncular qualities seem less politically reinforcing now, with Bush facing a difficult re-election battle and Cheney, 63, burdened by political baggage of his own.

Allegations of profiteering in Iraq by oil services giant Halliburton, which Cheney once headed, and his frequent claims that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction have become standard Democratic targets.

Bush strongly backs the former Wyoming congressman, who served as his father's defense secretary and President Gerald Ford's chief of staff. But some Republicans are quietly asking whether Cheney will help or hinder the ticket among voters this November.

That has raised speculation about possible Cheney replacements. Among those mentioned: Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist of Tennessee; Rep. Rob Portman of Ohio; Colorado Gov. Bill Owens; former Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Ridge, now Bush's homeland security secretary; and two New Yorkers: former New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani and Gov. George Pataki.



Matt's Chat

While I'm loving the idea of Rudi (gotta prep him for a run against Hillary in '08), I am pleasantly surprised to see the name of Rob Portman on this distinguished list. I hadn't really thought of Portman as being VP material before, but now that I have...I like it!

Mark's Remarks


Interesting choices....I do not think, at this time, that Rob Portman has the national stroke enough to be the one (if it happens) to replace Cheney. It would probably be Rudi, but I think it is gratifying to see Rob mentioned.

I think Cheney is still a good VP. The man is a leader. Yes, there are some issues. However, Dick Cheney is not currently involved with Halliburton. He sold his shares. He gave up his office. Oh, what is that, Mr. Hamster? Because liberals take kickbacks from the Red Chinese all the time, we should not believe that Mr. Cheney is not doing the same from and to Halliburton? My, my, my....more projection....