Tuesday, October 28, 2003

Word To The Senate: GET THIS THING DONE


The U.S. Senate has yet to schedule a vote on the Internet Tax Moratorium, which expires Saturday, although staff members predict there will be some action on the legislation by the end of the week. The U.S. House of Representatives on Sept. 17 passed a bill to make the current moratorium permanent.

Get the rest of this article from DC.Internet.com

Matt's Chat

The National Governors Association wants a "temporary" extension while industry and government works out the mess. They have had two years to do this, and failed to do so when Congress approved a two year extension the last time this came up.

It is an outrage for Republicans who run on a platform of no new taxes to promote this sort of garbage (Gov. Taft, are you listening? I see you appear to want to tax the Internet. Better rethink that position.)

Mark's Remarks

Since I am writing this after the update below, let me say: Congratulations Matt!!! I will be joining the campaign of writing to Sen. V. and also Mr. DeWine. I am hoping that we can get them to vote the right way.....

Of course, I am sure the majority of those in favor of this are the tax hungry liberals, who seek only to take more of our money, placing another restriction on our freedoms of access and expression....they have placed many such restrictions, all while claiming to be the party of freedom of expression, of free speech, etc. When all they do is tax everything we do...As for Mr. Taft, I would never have voted for him this last time if someone other than Tim" Mrs. Kate Mulgrew" Hagan had run. The man had about as much vision as Jean Kerry with his eyes closed......Terrible, so I went for the lesser of two evils...I wish Bill Cunningham would run, or even Seg Dennison...Howver, back to Taft....He is merely a Rhyno...a liberal in Rep. clothing. Look at all the great "progressive" programs he brought in that were hailed by the left, in education, in other respects...what has he done with these liberal programs, he has bankrupted the state...it was not conservatives, liberal readers, it was a liberal republican governor....now these morons want to tax the internet...great.....Stand up to them!!!! Write them today!!!!

UPDATE: Matt Sends This Note To Sen. Voinovich


Sen. Voinovich,

I am writing to express my outrage at the decision by the Senate to "hold" on the Internet Tax Moratorium. It would seem clear to me, that as a Republican of the "no new taxes" ilk, that you would support unconditionally this moratorium. It is vital that the Internet remain affordable to all.

I hope that my information is wrong, and that you aren't actually responsible for this hold. It would be most distressing to think that a man I voted for could be so far out of touch with the common Ohioan.

Respectfully,
MATT