Monday, May 24, 2004

Those "Non-Partisan" A.C.T. Folks

From Montgomery County Ohio for Bush
y doorbell rang an hour or so ago. I looked out and saw a man in a t-shirt with some sort of American Flag logo on it. I opened the door and stepped outside and immediately noted that the logo was an A.C.T. logo. Let the games begin. The man asks for me by name and, as he looks at the PDA on his clipboard, tells me that he has me down as a registered voter. "Registered Republican," I say. Already flustered, he juts a folded up piece of paper at me and says he's conducting a non-partisan survey for A.C.T. and would I mind answering. "Give it your best shot." He asks which two issues are most important to me: unemployment, the economy, healthcare, social security, education, or outsourcing. "Uhh ... what other choices do I have?" He says he will also ask me if I'm for or against the war in Iraq. "For. Can you give me the choices for the issues again, please?" Same tired old list, as he refuses to make any semblance of eye contact and taps away on his PDA. "What about national security, terrorism or high taxes?" They aren't on his list, he says, as he motions to his PDA. "Can you write in 'Terrorism' and 'National Security' for me?" No, he can't do that, would I like to hear my choices again. "I don't particularly think any of those things are the business of the government." He asks if I'm concerned about unemployment. "Not really, I've got a job, and the only person I know of working age who doesn't have a full time job doesn't want one right now." He tells me he's unemployed. "You look tired. How long have you been at this today?" All day, he says. "Try job hunting." At that, I closed the door and went inside.

Oh, and by the way. His "non-partisan handout? It blames President Bush and Governor Taft for a bad economy. Do these people watch the news, or do they just attend protests and knock on doors? President Bush's tax cuts have fixed the Clinton Economy.

Kerry Supporters: Is this the best you have to offer?

Matt's Chat

Eric pretty much nails it. I would have to say that I actually do place some blame on Gov. Taft for Ohio's "economic troubles," but I don't think the A.C.T. folks would agree with my thinking: Taft needed to reduce taxes and failed to do so. John Kerry wants to raise taxes. it is the only way he'll be able to pay for all those programs he's been promising. Unless of course, he's, you know, lying...

Noon Update:

Brian over at Miami Valley Conservative Alliance has some interesting viewpoints on the locals that call in to our show:
The folks in Dayton represent the uneducated electorate Neil Boortz often refers. They will never understand the issues until they turn off the television and take an economics course. This does mean that the campaign is wasting its time going after these voters; they should. The problem faced in Dayton is that the Democratic mantra has been drummed into the resident’s mind so well and often by the Dayton school system and the news media, coupled with their own ignorance, they will never understand how little the President effects the Ohio economy. They will never understand that Ohio’s problems result from over taxation, too many state and county social programs, and a growing atmosphere that drives businesses away, and a Governor and General Assembly that are Republicans in name only.

Mark's Remarks


Wow, these ACT folks are using unemployed people to hand out propaganda? Are they being paid? Do they read the crap they distribute?

Matt hits it on the head. No one teaches basic economics anymore, instead we are automatically exposed in schools to the liberal economic idea that government is responsible for everything. When I taught basic economic ideas of supply and demand in my classroom, and actually went through how little governments influence things, the students were shocked. They had always heard governments do everything. Sad and pathetic, that some of my fellow teachers are more concerned about indoctrination than in teaching children about the real world and preparing them for living in it. Instead of helping to prepare them to diagnose the problem (Bob Tax Taft and his fellow RINOs in GA), instead they are taught to blame Bush, even though the Prez has little to do with factories locating or evacuating Ohio. All just to indoctrinate the idea of central control of resources, so better to get them to be advocates for centrallized economic policies, the liberal goal of communism.