Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Schneider on the Custody of her Black Children

A question that came up in the comments section of this piece I wrote on the Schneider Saga was focused on the custody of Amy Joan Schneider's black children. I had recently seen documetnation that indicated that the children's father, Wayne Patterson, had custody of those children.

Here is what Ms. Schneider has to say on the subject (from an email she sent me).
In 2001, after my mother sued me for the second time, Wayne and I went to a lawyer about the Black children. We asked the lawyer what we should do in the event something happened to me, and Wayne was left with the children. We explained the situation with my mother and her hostilities toward Wayne. The lawyer suggested two things, 1. A will; and 2. An agreed order establishing Wayne’s paternity and custodial standing under Illinois Law should I die. I have done both. The children have always lived with me and Wayne has given sworn testimony to that effect.

Wayne and I have been together for 14 years and I love and trust him. Without his absolute support, I would have perished long ago under the load. Well educated, intelligent and healthy, Wayne is a loving and dedicated father who is involved with his children every day in every way. The “custody” issue is something that my mother and sister have tried to use against me, but there is no derogatory substance here. Under Illinois law, Judge Webber is obligated to report (to DCFS) any child who is probably in danger or who should be removed for the safety of the child. Judge Webber ruled that I was a danger only to my two white children and they must be protected from me. (Selective Protection.) I currently have zero contact with my children, just like Dan and Karen stated it should be.
Mr. Patterson has volunteered to answer any questions I may have on the subject. Additionally, Ms. Schneider has offered to send me a copy of Mr. Patterson's deposition on the subject.

One thing I can say about Ms. Schneider is that she is very open and forthcoming with answers and clarifications. I anticipate at least one more update on this story in the not to distant future as I have recently uncovered some information that I need to research a bit further before commenting.