Friday, April 15, 2005

Review: Revelations


NOTE: This post will be updated throughout the day as other members of the editorial board check in.

Originally posted at 10:15 AM on April 12th.



Our "reliable source" sent us a package yesterday with a DVD of NBC's new drama debuting on April 13th called Revelations, airing at 9:00 PM EDT.

Three-quarters of the WMD Editorial Board got together last night to watch the pilot. (Sorry Sean, I didn't think you'd be able to swing it with such late notice - feel free to jump in if/when you get a chance to see it.)

Cast

Starring Bill Pullman (Independence Day) as Dr. Richard Massey and Natascha McElhone as Sister Josepha Montifiore, Revelations is an exploration of the question as to whether or not the end of days is at hand. Other notable appearances in the show are Fred Durst (as Ogden) and John Rhys-Davies (as Dr. Massey's mentor).

Get the full cast listing from IMDb here.

Plot Summary (w/o Too Many Spoilers)

The premiere sets up the characters and establishes the premise of the series while presenting a "ripped from the headlines" story reminiscent of Terri Schiavo. A girl gets struck by lighting and is taken to the hospital where she falls in to a vegetative state and is about to be euthanized for her organs when McElhone arrives on the scene. The girl starts quoting scripture in Latin and draws a map for McElhone and then returns to her comatose state.

Sr. Jo (McElhone) enlists the aid of Dr. Massey (Pullman), whose daughter was killed by a Satanist (Isaiah Haden played by Michael Massee), but he is skeptical of McElhone's motives and methods.

Matt's Chat

I am the least "religious" of the WMD editorial board, but I found Revelations to be highly entertaining and thoroughly engaging. Most television shows aren't filmed like a movie, but this one was, and that aided in the story telling immensely.

The casting is outstanding. Some people may not buy Bill Pullman as a skeptic, but he totally nails the part. McElhone perfectly portrays faith in action. And John Rhys-Davies continues to be a class act. A fantastically chilling performance by Michael Massey that just owns the screen.

The music is haunting. Joseph Vitarelli provides an appropriately dark and rich score.

And the photography is simply stunning.

I give it Four and a Half Mushroom Clouds out of Five.

Mark's Remarks

Ahh, a network seeking to join the Passion phenomena. Sadly, they fell a bit short in my opinion. While this is an interesting look at the Last Days, it is neither overly original or too theologically correct. I know, there goes the guy getting all Biblical.

However, it was a captivating series in the X-Files vein. In fact, as Bill Pullman and his female co-star started working together, I got the Mulder/Scully vibe, without the immediate sexual tension, though I fear that NBC might go after that, at some point.

The music was very interesting, and the characters were engaging and each brought their own poignant reasons and backgrounds to this "investigation" of whether the Last Days prophecies were coming about. In fact, the pilot had each major segment begin with a Biblical passage that tied that segment's theme together.

If it were merely a science fiction look at preventing some type of demonic invasion, ala Constantine, I would not be at all unhappy with the series. However, they attempt to portray some things that I believe are not Scripturally correct. They take a HUGE license with some of the prophecies, such as the return of Christ. Now, they have not said that the person they are searching for is Christ, but the Nun's whole notion of Jesus returning as a child to be nurtured and to grow up again is not correct. Jesus himself said in the Scriptures he would come back from the clouds as a king on a white horse, with the titles King of Kings and Lord of Lords on his noble sash. Granted, for entertainment purposes, this is not a HUGE detail, but for those of us who study the Bible, it is important.

Secondly, the characters are not overly original. The agnostic doubting father, the kind of knowing but unsure religious figure; all of these can be found in the best selling Left Behind Series. The whole father going through loss that Pullman plays can be analogous to Rayford Steele in the LB series. However, there are striking differences. Rayford's family was taken away by the Rapture, but Pullman's were taken by the servant of evil.

I guess that is what colors my viewing of this series. Between my own study and my own enjoyment and voracious reading of the Left Behind Series, I am biased. I think the Left Behind series is much more theologically correct and more Scripturally based, but I can understand that we are dealing with a secular interpretation of events.

I must say I am intrigued at which way this series will go, and also by the character of Mr. Rhys-Davies. His character seems to meld science and religion together, to accept both, which is uncharacteristic of the intelligentsia today. However, I am not sure how successful this series will be. I do not think evangelicals will watch after noting some of the tangents, but I don't think NBC was aiming for them truly anyway.

My hope is that this series will launch some discussion about one of the least talked about subjects in modern Christianity: the End of Days. I am hoping that despite some disagreements I have with the portrayals of prophecy, that this series will promote questions and thoughtful discussion and analysis of the prophecies and inspire people to look closer at that "last book in the Bible."

All that being said, I was not overly enthusiastic, but I must admit I was left wanting to know more. I would more heartily recommend the Left Behind Series of BOOKS (the 2 movies I have seen and am aware of are so-so) if you want a fictional examination of the End Times that is accessible. However, knowing Hollyweird as I do, this is at least a good starting point. I give it 3 mushroom clouds.

Doug's Dialogue

This is a very interesting look into the biblical stories of the last days. I am very impressed that a network such as NBC decided to tackle such a story. This is not the typical NBC programming, although they do have a success rate with television drama series.

This was the pilot episode for a potential series for NBC. I will agree with Matt that the cast is done very well. Bill Pulman doesn't readily impress me as a skeptic, but that is based on the previous roles that I have seen him in (mainly quite hero types). However, he is a great actor and does manage to do the part justice. Natascha McElhone reminds me a lot of Jane Seymour (Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman) and Roma Downey Jr. (Touched by an Angel). She plays the part of a nun who travels the world documenting the signs of the coming of days, and does a very convincing job. The supporting cast is also excellent in their roles.

Based on what we have seen, I think that the story has been very well written. The writers in conjunction with the director have done an excellent job of making the story interesting, while still providing a very good dramatic telling. I will also agree with Matt that the filming has been quite good. However, where this series gets it's knock is with the content.

This story is based on the book of Revelations in the Bible. I will be the first to admit that I do not know a lot about the book of Revelations. Sure I have heard some of the stories, but have not actually read this part of the Bible. I know other people who have read this book in the Bible. From what I know of the people who have read it, this particular book in the Bible is subject to a lot of interpretation. So we have that aspect. Secondly, NBC is taking a very cerebral approach to the presentation of this book of the Bible. As a series, I am not sure that ordinary people, such as myself, who do not know much about the book of Revelations will be able to fully understand all of the ideas that are presented about the coming of days. I think that this is probably the single biggest drawback to NBC presenting this as a series. And unfortunately, that is the reason why I feel this series may not last.

Where NBC wins with this series is the great writing and directing that they are getting, along with the excellent casting. The story telling keeps the viewer interested, while the mystery and drama keeps them hooked. Where the lose is the cerebral nature in which they are presenting this story. I think that this would make for a great miniseries shown over the course of a week. I do not think that it will be able to survive as a regular series though.

For a rating, I would initially give this probably three or three and a half mushroom clouds out of five. However, due to the good story and excellent casting, I am willing to bump my rating up to four mushroom clouds out of five.

Obligatory Star Trek Reference

John Rhys-Davies played Leonardo DaVinci in a couple episodes of Voyager.

Other Reviews / Sources


NBC's site for Revelations
IMDb entry for Revelations
Matt's review for BNN
Steve Beard's take on National Review
TVtome