Wednesday, July 20, 2005

More Questions for Hackett

Imagine my surprise when I heard that Paul Hackett is trying to paint himself as the "go to" guy for lower taxes.

Sources indicate that when Mr. Hackett was a member of the Milford City Council, he raised taxes on his constituents six times in a three year period.

Specifically, Hackett voted to raise taxes on June 18, 1996 (twice); May 6, 1997; September 1, 1998; and March 17, 1998 (twice). I have an email in to the Clerk of the Milford City Council to receive copies of the minutes for these meetings to verify my source's information, but it looks pretty solid so far. (I'll make those minutes available for download if I can secure them from the City of Milford.)

The best part? Hackett moved to Indian Hill after raising the taxes of his constituency in Milford.

How do I know that Paul Hackett is still a tax and spend liberal Democrat? He's still talking about raising your taxes. Taxes that he won't be paying himself if he is elected...members of Congress don't pay Social Security taxes yet he wants to raise the cap from which Social Security can be drawn from your pay check. [7/25: See Update below]

Can you believe this guy?

Mark's Remarks


A recent editorial by a Dem "hack" supporter in my local paper prompted me to reply. I will present both letters soon as mine is due to be published by the Brown County Press this weekend.

Hackett is the typical John Edwards swerver. He talks about how he is going to lower taxes, but his record is completely different. Look at downtown Milford, there are empty buildings galore where businesses used to be, from his tax and spend heavy days in Council. There are two adjoining mini-malls that are operating at about 50 percent capacity, where once they were constantly crowded. This happened about the time Hack was raising taxes. The streets in downtown Milford are full of potholes, and have been horrible for years. Yet, good ol' Hack would have you believe he saved that town. Funny, if he saved it, why did he get the heck out of Dodge before his own tax increases took effect?

7/25 Update

Mr. Irwin, in the commetns, suggests that I check my facts on whether or not members of Congress pay Social Security taxes. He is, in fact, correct, members of Congress do pay in to the system. Prior to 1984, however, they did not. Please forgive the error.