Monday, May 08, 2006

Hugh's Painting

Over the weekend, I finally got around to finishing up Hugh Hewitt's latest opus, Painting the Map Red and I have to say it was an impressive read. But there is one problem that I have with Hewitt's work...



Hewitt manages to talk about principles and party, but never discerns which is more important. He'll lambaste Lincoln Chaffee, but dut defend Mike DeWine. That makes no sense to me.

Here is Hewitt's 12-word mantra on how to win and who to support:
Win the war.
Confirm the judges.
Cut the taxes.
Control the spending.
He has since added:
Secure the border.
DeWine supports limiting the power of the executive branch in its ability to conduct surveillance of terrorists in this country. He has joined the Gang of 14. He's considered not supporting the making permenant of the Bush tax cuts. He's the king of pork. I have no idea what his position on the borders is, but if he sticks to form, he and I will be on opposite of that issue too.

Back to the point...what is more important? Party or principles? I know what my answer is... What say you?