Friday, February 23, 2007

Note to Minority Leader John Boehner

I am somewhat disturbed by something that I have been noticing a bit more frequently in the Minority Leader, my Congressman, and a Great American, John Boehner... Let me show you an example from the Seattle Times:
House Minority Leader John Boehner tells Republicans to be independent and has told the caucus, "The American people couldn't care less which party is in control."
But the American people do care, Congressman, they care a great deal. Republicans didn't lose the majority because the American people don't care who is in control of Congress...

One of the things that the Democrats do fairly well is maintain party discipline and I think that is a trait that the Republicans have long needed. For example, I don't think it is too much to ask the Republicans in Congress to act like Republicans on the war issue. The GOP are supposed to be the grown-ups on national security, yet nothing will happen to Rep. Steve LaTourette and the other 16 White Flag Republicans who thought it would be a good idea to cut and run from Iraq. The Victory Caucus is watching...

John Kasich wrote a book called State for Something. I'd like to think that the Republican Party still stands for something...although I must admit that it is getting harder to tell just what exactly they do stand for... We need strong leadership on the issues of the day if the Republicans are ever to regain the majority in Congress.