Monday, August 27, 2007

Other Guy On 4 Years of Greatness

It is amazing and humbling to think that 4 years have gone by since Matt began writing this blog, along with myself, Other Guy, aka Mark. In the beginning, we basically thought if the two of us could come together, between the two of us we might be able to make a bit of a difference out there and offset the loons we were seeing on the Left. Here we are, four years later, and while the Conservative blogosphere has grown, so has the Left.

When we began, in some ways, we wrote to defend the war on terror. See, we had a liberal who we thought was our friend at the time, and out of our debates with him would spring posts. Along the way, we lost that liberal friend to Bush Derangement Syndrome, along with personal sniping. No big loss. However, in four years, we have gained so much more.

We went from a blog with an audience per day of about 25, and within four years, we are way over that, with about 200 hits a day. While that doesn't make us rock stars like some others, and we don't get as much pub or push as others, we have made some strides in influence. We have been mentioned in some different papers, as well as on national cable news (see sidebar).

Over the past four years, I have blogged erratically, but that is life. I wish I could blog more, but I am one who does not think you all are so stupid and disinterested as to think more than five lines is too long, like some rock stars out there who believe you all are sheep. That is not the case. I like to write and discuss things, sometimes meandering, sometimes sledgehammering the point home. But that is me.

Looking over the last four years, I can say I am disappointed. I am disappointed in myself, for not writing more, or for doing more to help Matt out. I can say I am disappointed in the ORP and the RNC, that they still have not fully embraced the rightosphere, as has the left. Of course, when I look at how the DNC has been co-opted by the nut roots, maybe the RNC is a bit gunshy. However, the party will continue to lag behind as long as they don't embrace technology.

I have been disappointed in lame attempts to try to stroke Matt and myself by mentioning our names at events, then ignoring our pleas for information. I have been disappointed with candidates and staffs that think they are the smartest people in the room, and that anyone who disagrees with them are "mentally unstable." I have been disappointed that some of the right's most ballyhooed voices don't take their responsbility seriously.

I have been disappointed that the ORP does not allow more of its shining lights to do so. Having met certain folks on the staff up there, who I will not name for fear of them getting negative reprisals, I can say that they are capable of much more, but are hindered by a backwards and antiquated leader who should have been replaced long ago.

I have been heartened to see some of the converstations and friendships grow through this endeavor. Matt and I have been privileged enough to get to know some really fine people and bloggers, even those with whom we disagree with on quite a few things. Conservative bloggers like Bizzyblog, Nixguy, and others have lifted us up and we have shared insights together and helped make differences. Looking at the Bob McEwen incidents, you cannot tell me that bloggers did not make a difference. Even some left of center bloggers, like Jill and one of the Two Babes have been fun if not at times exasperating to debate with. Of course, there have been some kooks, but they don't last long. And of course, there have been some who have inspired challenge and debate, like Matt Dole, who I would like to say despite every debate and disagreement I respect for him sticking to what he believes in and thinks is right.

I have been heartened to hear elected officials tell us they read us. The internet is truly an amazing tool, and even though I don't write very much anymore, I hope you will take the time to read what I do write from time to time. One thing you can say about Other Guy is that what I write is straight from the heart, and is meant to touch a nerve.

I have been heartened to know that despite our seemingly being beneath the stats of the rock stars, some of them use our stories and ideas, only sometimes giving us credit. That kind of tells you more than numbers or what some rag says about how influential you are. Even though we may not get a thousand hits a day, we still make our mark. If we didn't, how could I have gotten to know office staffers to ask them about getting me a Capitol tour in DC? And them knowing me by name?

However, much remains to be done. After about a year or so of blogging, Matt and I decided we wanted to do more, to advocate for a return to the values which brought us victory in elections and as a country. We talked about advocating for changes in leadership and paradigms to further the conservative cause. In those respects, let our epitath currently read, "they didn't do enough." Things in Ohio are still a mess. The libs seem to gain more footholds. However, that is what will make the victory the more sweet, all the things that people can doubt about us.

One thing is for certain, even if it is just "copying press releases", Matt Hurley and Other Guy aren't going anywhere soon.

Thanks for reading, and God bless you all.

Mark aka Other Guy
p.s. I'm the taller, better looking one.