Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Will Aaron Sorkin Get a Royalty Check from Progress Ohio?

An emailer who, like me, was a huge fan of the West Wing TV show notes some rather striking similarities between a first season episode and this Progress Ohio post.
Burress letter: As you said "in the eyes of God, marriage is based between a man a woman." I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination... End of debate.

West Wing

President Josiah Bartlet: Good. I like your show. I like how you call homosexuality an abomination.

Dr. Jenna Jacobs: I don't say homosexuality is an abomination, Mr. President. The Bible does.

President Josiah Bartlet : Yes it does. Leviticus.

Dr. Jenna Jacobs: 18:22.

--------------------------

Burress Letter: 2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

Bartlet: I wanted to ask you a couple of questions while I have you here. I'm interested in selling my youngest daughter into slavery as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. She's a Georgetown sophomore, speaks fluent Italian, always cleared the table when it was her turn. What would a good price for her be?

--------------------------------

Burress Letter: 5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2. clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?


Bartlet: While thinking about that, can I ask another? My Chief of Staff Leo McGarry insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly says he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself or is it okay to call the police?

---------------------------------

Burress Letter: 9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

Bartlet: Here's one that's really important because we've got a lot of sports fans in this town: touching the skin of a dead pig makes one unclean. Leviticus 11:7. If they promise to wear gloves, can the Washington Redskins still play football? Can Notre Dame? Can West Point?

-----------------------------------

Burress Letter: 10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

Bartlet: Does the whole town really have to be together to stone my brother John for planting different crops side by side? Can I burn my mother in a small family gathering for wearing garments made from two different threads? Think about those questions, would you?
The emailer asks:
All fair questions that people of faith grapple with on a daily basis, but here areare a few questions an interested blogger might ask of Progress Ohio -

1. Is plagiarism ok? If not how are people who plagarize at Progress Ohio punished? Do they lose posting rights? Does Brian Rothenberg condone strippers AND plagarism, and if so would it not be easier if he would give us a list of the things he isn't in favor of assuming that is a pretty short list.

2. In journalism, plagiarism is us unethical - is Progress Ohio's mission to out those old media duds for the stiffs they are by loosening the rules on stealing other people's work?

3. Can Aaron Sorkin expect a royalty check - or at least a writer's credit at Progress Ohio? After "Studio 60," he may need the pick-me-up.
An excellent catch...