Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Dispatch on Tort Reform and Ohio's Economy

I read with some amusement this post over at The Daily Briefing, the Columbus Dispatch blog entitled "Litigation crisis? What litigation crisis?". It is a pretty entertaining read. In it, the reporter, James Nash, says that there was no need for the tort reform law. Not only that, but Nash asserts that the law has done nothing to help Ohio's economy.

As usual, when the lawyers say "Jump!", the media says, "How high?"

By framing tort reform as the sole savior of Ohio's economy, Nash makes a common mistake. There is no single formula or law that will turn things around here in the great state of Ohio. There is no way for us to know whether or not enacting this law would have made a difference. What Ohio needs is a business climate that is encouraging and inviting.

Is that what we're getting with the Strickland administration? I don't think so... His first act of business was to veto legislation that would have protected business. His attorney general, Marc Dann, has gone on a jihad against business in this state.

I'm not an economist, and I sure ain't a lawyer, but I am a thinker even if I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Seems to me, what we need is a real plan to bring Ohio out of economic doldrums and back to the prosperous gem we knew so well. Strickland told us he had a plan and voters believed him. Now he needs to deliver...

...but I'm not holding my breath.