Tuesday, February 26, 2008

OH-18: Phillips on Race, Gender, and Republican Politics

In response to this release published on WMD yesterday regarding a Jeanette Moll event, her opponent Paul Phillips says "I look forward to the day when Republicans can be blind to race and gender and simply support the best qualified candidate. My wife, a hard working mother and professsional, is also a minority (Asian). She is perhaps the most ardent opponent of any racial or gender preferences you will meet. I remember her looking at me with that "I don't think so" look when I first told her about the Offficer's Wives Club. She asked properly, "is there an Officer's Husbands Club"? She is also not a member of our county's Womens Republican Club. She will tell you she's happy being simply a Republican. Morgan Freeman said it well on a 60 Minutes interview when he was describing why he disliked Black History Month..it went something like this...."If you want to make race (or gender) a non-issue, don't make race (or gender) an issue."

Exit Question: I have to ask...has Joy Padgett endorsed Jeanette Moll? If not, why not?