Friday, February 29, 2008

Replacing Rogers

My source who predicted the Rogers plea deal has informed me that there are some rumors out there that indicate that the party is considering supporting Statzer in some capacity. I agree with my source who says that it seems illogical for the party who didn't endorse Rogers would support the guy who ran her campaign. I have come to learn that these sorts of things happen all the time in party politics. My word of caution to the party establishment is this: it is the Central Committee's decision, not yours. Let us take a step in the right direction against corruption and strike a blow against the talk of "backroom deals" and "good old boy networks" all at the same time.

Another Central Committee friend of mine advised me that I should wait and see who the candidates were before announcing support for anyone in particular. Which is a great idea IF the party establishment allows that process to happen. We need to rebuild our reputation with a good appointment with solid credentials for the job. That is how we rebuild the Butler County GOP brand and restore voter confidence.

The flavor of Republican politics in this county needs to change or the voters will change it for us...

UPDATE: I asked around and got a few opinions on the "Donkey Punch" strategy. I get the impression that the legal precedent in this matter is something of a gray area. My understanding is that the party believes that the "electing party" gets to make the replacement, but there is enough jargon in the statute [Ohio Revised Code Section 305.02(B)] that there really isn't a clear case.
"the county central committee of the political party with which the last occupant of the office was affiliated shall appoint a person to hold the office . . . ."
Basically, if Kay Rogers pulls a Democratic ballot on March 4th, it looks like there will be a legal battle over which party gets to replace the disgraced Auditor.

UPDATE 2: I just got another email on names being tossed about that also deals with motivations. I'll have all of that and more...when I get back from lunch...