Wednesday, March 19, 2008

State Rep. Combs Wants to be Butler County Auditor

This just arrived via snail mail:
For many years I have been proud to work with you as an elected member of the Butler County Republican Party Central Committee. It's our commitment to service that means more than winning an election. What it really means is that we are dedicated to achieving victory for our Republican Party, one of the greatest organized and respected in Ohio and the nation.

With your support, I am seeking the open position of Butler County Auditor. This is an important presidential year and with the circumstances being what they are, this position will appear on November's ballot. It is critical that our Party make the right decision for our future.

I have the proper and pertinent qualifications for auditor. While some point to the financial end of the office, most people understand that the Real Estate section of the office requires the most attention. In 2008, the Auditor's office will be completing a county-wide reappraisal. It is on this issue that the democrats will again hammer home in this year's election. We had better be prepared.

I have extensive knowledge and background in real estate. While only 7 of Ohio's 88 County Auditor's hold a CPA, most have qualified experience in real estate. This is the nature of the job.

No matter who gets the appointment, we can count on a strong effort by the democrats to go after this seat. I respectfully remind this committee that I have received overwhelming endorsements numerous times by the Party, and have won 5 county-wide elections to serve as your Butler County Commissioner.

How did I do in county wide general elections? I received over 67% of the vote both in 1994 and 1998, [and I] achieved 61% in a three-way race in 2002. Moreover, in 2002 I received 71.6% of the West Chester vote and 73.3% in Liberty Township! I know what it takes to win and maximize our Republican base vote. This campaign will be tough and hard fought, but with your help, I am battle tested and ready for the challenge to win this seat for the Butler County Republican Party.

As a State Representative, I have won overwhelmingly in both of my general elections in the 54th House District which includes Hamilton, Fairfield, and Ross. I have never lost a county-wide election. For those who complain about "seat switching", their argument holds no merit -- my election results prove that it just isn't an issue. The public wants a name they can trust in office, and that is now more true than ever. They also want a candidate and a campaign they can respect. My track record speaks for itself.

I ask for your vote for the appointment to Butler County Auditor. This office is just too important to lose. Please join me in my commitment to hold this seat and bring trust and stability back to the office. You know my experience, my ability to win and my reputation for integrity. Most of all, you know my desire for a unified Republican Party. Let's work hard together to make it happen!

Sincerely,

[Signature]
Courtney Combs
Empasis in the original.

Okay...as you might expect, I have a few things to say about this particular letter and this particular candidate.

CPA vs. Realtor: If this is such an issue, Mr. Combs, how did we EVER survive with Kay Rogers, award winning CPA, at the helm in this office all these years? Answer? It isn't all that important. If you win the endorsement, you aren't going to personally handle all of those appraisals yourself are you? Surely, the Auditor has a staff that handles that sort of thing, right? What would have happened if Kay were still in office? Those appraisals would still have gotten done. This is what we in the "business" call a straw man argument, Mr. Combs.

Combs's Election Record: ...is irrelevant. What we have here is what I hope is a unique situation where the Butler County GOP has had to replace two county-wide office holders in as many years due to criminal behavior. Is that the climate we were in when Mr. Combs won all of those races he's touting now? I didn't think so...

"Seat Switching": ...is VERY relevant and your dismissal of this important factor in the appointment goes to show how out of touch you are right now. As I mentioned before, we've been swapping seats all year and it is getting rather old...

Now, let's talk about a few things that Mr. Combs failed to mention...

  • If we were to appoint Mr. Combs, we'd have to replace HIS seat in the Ohio House of Representatives.


  • Mr. Combs is currently serving his third of four possible terms in the Ohio House of Representatives. We have at least two more years, assuming he wins his seat in November and based on his "experience" he should have no trouble doing that, before we need to consider where he ought to spend the remaining of his politically viable years.


  • Mr. Combs has been County Commissioner and State Representative...isn't County Auditor a step backward for such a strong politician with a track record of beating every Democrat he has ever faced?


  • NOTE: I am not endorsing in this race until I know who all the candidates are. Aside from Mr. Combs, who has announced his candidacy, I know that Roger Reynolds is also seeking the seat.

    ALSO NOTE: My criticisms presented here are not intended to indicate whether or not I think Mr. Combs would be acceptable or not as a candidate. I present this analysis and the letter as an introduction to a discussion on the issues that his candidacy raises. I encourage interested participants to engage in the comments sections and to do so with respect and dignity.