Friday, April 18, 2008

Eureka College Update

Welcome to all of you looking for the story about the sad events going on at Eureka College. Thanks also to the intrepid student reporter who is covering it on her site and in the student paper.

Welcome also to the Eureka College administration who have been checking things out enough to put out memos saying "talk to no one" and "keep it in house".

Make no mistake. I know what is going on. I have multiple sources from multiple areas of the College scene and will not tolerate a campaign to silence those with legitimate concerns. Students should be concerned when dedicated and highly competent faculty are shown the door in such unceremonious ways or made to feel so unappreciated they get out after having passed up offer after offer. Some have said reveal your sources. Obviously, with the present climate, that could be detrimental to the economic well being of some of my sources.

What you have is an administration that wants to go in the direction of PR over substance. That is where time and energy are being diverted to, toward high impact recruitment over doing the thing that gets you respect, taking care of the students and programs you have. While the current president has done some good (never said he did not), what I have seen here lately amounts to a negative direction when it comes to personnel matters and communication with the student body, who ultimately are the customers.

I have a special place in my heart for Eureka, as friends of mine have gone there and it is the alma mater of Ronald Reagan. I have gone on one of the most amazing trips of my life through the school. However, because I like the school so much, I will take the step of speaking out. I will continue to monitor the situation and continue to seek the opinion and view of students.

God bless Eureka College, her students, her faculty, and the United States of America.