Thursday, May 29, 2008

Sheriff Jones is NOT a Big Mike DeWine Fan

It's time for the daily props and shout out to Cox Newspapers' intrepid reporter Josh Sweigart as we borrow from his work to illustrate a point:
Chairman Bennett: I have recently read correspondence stating that the Ohio Republican Party is considering selecting Senator Mike DeWine to run for the State of Ohio Attorney General’s position. It is my opinion, as the Sheriff of Butler County, Ohio, that if Senator DeWine is chosen to run for this position, it will adversely affect law enforcement throughout the State of Ohio. Surely there is a more qualified candidate than to bring someone back who was voted out of office by the people of Ohio. Senator DeWine would be considered a recycled politician without the best credentials for the position, and would not be my choice. Again, I feel that if Senator DeWine is chosen it would adversely affect law enforcement in this county and throughout the State of Ohio. We need someone with new ideas and the Republican party needs a change.
The above is a reproduction of a letter that our beloved Sheriff Jones wrote to Ohio GOP Captain of the Titanic Chariman Bob Bennett.

The strongest language in Jones' letter is this one: "I feel that if Senator DeWine is chosen it would adversely affect law enforcement in this county and throughout the State of Ohio." WOW. That's going to leave a mark!

I know DeWine is considered to be something of a squish on 2nd Amendment issues, but does he have a reputation for being soft on crime? This is certainly news to me...I don't recall such strong language from someone of Sheriff Jones' stature before. Or am I missing something?

Don't get me wrong, Mike DeWine isn't my first choice either... I'm still hoping that we can convince Rob Portman that serving as the AG isn't beneath him.