Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Regarding the Mistake We Made...

Hi, folks, it is me, Mark G., aka the Whole D@mn Show...We have gotten ALOT of feedback regarding that little video segment we did; some of it lighthearted, some of it serious, and some of it just plain dumb (kind of like the segment itself). Since I was the infamous "star" of that particular show, I wanted to discuss some with all of you (and yes, I know the smart aleck snots are looking on, as well) and discuss what we were trying to do.

Look, Matt and I have been at this thing for five years. While we love politics and current events, as we have made our rep on it, it does get to be a drag sometimes, especially for Matt, who posts more here than I do. Matt and I have been trying to find things that would not even necessarily expand our audience, but new challenges for us that would keep us entertained and on point as far as keeping up doing this thing. I mean, we aren't getting paid. We aren't paid consultants for the party and we aren't appearing on regular radio or cable shows. There are sometimes this is a drag, especially as both of us have regular jobs (both of us more than 1), and it takes a lot to re-engage.

So, we were looking to do something different...something edgy...something totally slapstick. So, I had seen someone else do a show called Five Questions, and it was quite funny and provacative. I thought, we could do something like that. So, we invented the character of "The Whole D@mn Show" who would be an iconoclast who would answer questions in a zany way. And, things were zany.

Let me be clear. I am not apologizing for doing the show or trying something new. I am apologizing for anyone who took offense. While I may not be proud of the reaction, I am proud of the work that was done. The show looked better than I thought it ever could, and we had a great time making it. I will not apologize for what we learned in video work or for us trying to expand our horizons. I will apologize to those who took offense, and I thank those of you who RESPECTFULLY discussed with us why WMD was not the venue for this experiment, and I understand and appreciate those comments.

However, let me say this. Matt and I are not the message. Matt and I are not representing the Republican party, no matter what pamphleteers of stupidity or Columbus Tabloid reporters might say. We simply put up what we think is interesting or something that strikes a nerve. We are not the message. I understand what people were saying with their CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, but please understand the difference.

Matt and I, as well as Sean, Doug, and Tom (our sometimes contributors) all appreciate the support and viewership of WMD and the chances we have had to inform and entertain you. However, we should be allowed to do something different if we so choose. However, as per this experience, we learned two things: 1. not the time. 2. not the place.

While I am sorry if some of you have lost a little confidence in us, the stupid segment was all about blog/entertainment. It was meant to be lighthearted and funny. It was meant to entertain, to let me be goofy as some crazy character, and give Matt more experience in video producing. I am sorry if some of you did not like it, but I do not regret making the video. While I do take what you all say to heart, Matt and I are not getting paid by doing the blog. It is not OUR JOB. We would love it if it were (I might even write more often), but it is not our mission. We are doing this because it is fun, and we were trying to do something fun to keep from getting lost in the political stuff and getting burned out.

After receiving the comments from our friends and viewers, we decided to take it down. Some people that I care about made some very good arguments for why this is not the place, and why we should not go forward. After weighing those CONSTRUCTIVE criticisms, we decided to remove the video. We decided to rethink what we were doing with it. I am going to tell you right now that 3 Questions in some form will be back, but with a different feel to it. We did not take it down because we were being made fun of our ridiculed. If that helps you sleep at night and makes you feel good about yourself, believe that. We took it down because people whose opinion we care about convinced us it might be a good idea. We want to put out good material and continue to grow the WMD brand (watch for a new look soon, which means new and exciting merchandise!) and expand our readership. We try to listen to our readers who give us CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, and we listened to you.

I hope you can understand what Matt and I were trying to do, as well as understand the action we took. If not, then WMD is not for you. If so, then please read on and continue to check back often.

Again, to those who may have been shocked or offended by our slapstick, I do apologize. It was just a character, just an experiment. But, I do not apologize for doing it and for trying something new. I hope you can respect and understand that.

Sincerely,

Mark