Wednesday, July 09, 2008

SCOTGSO

There are two great candidates that don't get near enough publicity in the blogosphere. Evelyn Stratton and Maureen O'Connor are both up for re-election to the Supreme Court of the Great State of Ohio.

Here is a little information about Justice Stratton:
As a daughter of American missionaries, growing up in Thailand and going to boarding schools in South Viet Nam and Malaysia, I never dreamed I would have the privilege of becoming a Justice on the Supreme Court of Ohio. I am humbled and honored to have been elected twice by the people of Ohio. I have now served on the Supreme Court for twelve years and am up for reelection in 2008.


To me, campaigns mean the chance to renew many old friendships and to make many more new ones. It means numerous opportunities to visit our great cities, towns and villages. It means traveling across each and every corner of our state. It means lots of hard work and sometimes grueling, endless days...but with your help, 2008 is going to be an exciting year!

Here you will find important information about my background, my experience as an Ohio Supreme Court Justice and my leadership in the areas of adoption, mental health, law enforcement and our prison system. It is available here.

Would you like to join our team? Campaigns need volunteers to succeed. We rely on informed, concerned citizens like you to carry the day. There are many ways to get involved. To help, click here. Please stop by frequently since we are constantly updating with events, news, pictures, articles and more.

In my twelve years on the Supreme Court, I have worked hard to earn your trust and confidence and that of all Ohioans. With your help, I hope you will allow me to continue.
And here is a blurb on Justice O'Connor:
In 2002, the voters of Ohio elected me to serve as a justice of the Ohio Supreme Court. It is truly an honor to hold this position. I am proud to have carried 86 of 88 counties and to know that over 57% of Ohio voters trusted me to serve on Ohio’s highest court. I come to the court with experience as a lawyer, magistrate, prosecutor, common pleas court judge, and as lieutenant governor and director of Ohio’s Department of Public Safety. I am proud to have earned the public’s trust in every position that I have held in the past twenty years. I am also proud of the fact that I have improved and strengthened every office that I have held and believe those skills are the mark of a true public servant. I pledge to continue to do so in every step of my career.



As a justice, I have listened to the parties who have argued before the court, read and interpreted the law, and independently applied the law to the facts of each case. I recognize that the decisions of the Ohio Supreme Court affect all of Ohio’s citizens, businesses, and courts. I firmly believe that we must adhere to legal precedent and instill stability and predictability in the law. I also believe that it is critically important that our justices must decide cases in a fair and unbiased manner. I promise to continue to uphold the oath of my office as I have for the past six years.

I respectfully ask for your continued support and for your vote on November 4th, 2008.
As I said before, these are two fantastic candidates for two very important seats on the Ohio Supreme Court. I encourage all of WMD's readers to learn more and get involved.

UPDATE: Here is a video profiling Justice Stratton hosted by Colleen Marshall of NBC4 in Columbus.