Friday, October 03, 2008

Brown County Update: Varnau Playing Dirty?


It has been a while since I have posted something regarding Brown County politics. I have been too busy working campaigns in Brown County and talking to people in my township to post. However, there is something going on in the news lately that bears discussion. So-called Independent Candidate for Sheriff, Dennis Varnau, is trying to use some political gamesmanship with a billboard that for six months has featured his visage and campaign slogan "Varnau for Sheriff." In the last few weeks, he has changed this billboard to have his face and that of Republican Candidate for Prosecutor, Jessica Little, sharing the board with the phrase: They will fight for equal justice, not just us.

Now, this has led some to question whether or not Ms. Little is supporting Varnau over incumbent, Republican Dwayne Wenninger. Well, nothing could be further from the truth. Why is Varnau trying to create such an impression? Is this more about creating confusion and chaos between campaigns than winning? Is Varnau trying to help out his own cause AND that of Democrat Robert Rickey, who is running against Little (the prosecutor seat is open, no incumbents, though the current outgoing prosecutor IS a Democrat)?
Here is a statement Ms. Little released to the local papers in Brown County:
I would like to premise my remarks by saying that I had nothing to do with this new billboard," Little wrote. "I didn't authorize it, I didn't pay for it, or have any input as to its content. I fully support free speech; however, I want to dispel any perception that the advertisement is my endorsement of candidate Varnau. I am not endorsing candidate Varnau. I am confident that the voters of Brown County will take the initiative to learn about each candidate and then make an informed decision. They don't need me to tell them who to vote for.

"I am a Republican and one of the very few candidates that proudly display a party affiliation on their signage. I am the endorsed candidate of the Brown County Republican Central Committee and I support all candidates on the Republican slate. However, that does not mean that I will sacrifice public safety or compromise my integrity for the sake of party politics," Little wrote. "The sheriff and the prosecutor are like a team of horses pulling a plow, each must do their own job independently of the other, yet cooperate enough to make a straight, deep, furrow. If I am elected prosecutor I will work independently yet cooperatively with whomever the voters elect sheriff."

Now, Varnau replied to this statement:
I am sorry for any distress I may have caused you by backing your candidacy, however, just because I am a candidate myself, I am still an eligible elector and have the right to back anyone I desire in any election, openly and publicly, spending my money as I see fit," Varnau wrote.

Additionally, Varnau said that the billboard was not going to be changed, altered, or taken down before the election in November.

"As far as removing the billboard, I have already paid in full the lease and other fees for that billboard. I will not be making any changes to it all the way up to the Nov. 4th election," Varnau wrote. "The only changes I expect is more people paint-balling it in the future, or vandalizing it. We are prepared for that now and hope to catch whomever is doing such things in the future.

"Again, sorry for any distress. If I get elected I can work with whomever gets elected as prosecutor, whether it is you or Bob (Brown County Prosecutor candidate Robert Rickey). If elected, I am hoping that it is you who gets elected, solely based upon the comparison of experience levels between you and Bob. Period."

The sheriff's race has been very contentious, with Varnau using hidden microphones and tape recordings to try to attack the reputation of incumbent Wenninger. Varnau also has been seen at some events, as some people say, playing dress up sheriff, wearing what appears to be a sheriff uniform.

What is Varnau hoping to do with this confusion? Why would he, if he thinks Little is the best candidate, do something that may jeopardize her vote with Republicans? Sounds fishy to me....