Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Hold Your Nose for Husted?

I've been having a discussion with one of my blogger friends in email about Jon Husted. Said blogger is of the opinion that Husted is the only Republican who can win in the general, but I remain unconvinced. Having said that, I hear this a lot from establishment Republican types but for the life of me I can not figure out what they base this theory on...

Sandy O'Brien may have lost the general, but she won the primary in a statewide contest last time out. Jon Husted has never had to face voters outside of his little sliver of Greater Dayton.

Sure Jon Husted can raise a ton of dough, but he'll save it for his Governor's run and will not spend it on a run for Secretary of State. Besides, money alone is not a reason to vote for somebody let alone support him.

Establishment Republicans like to think that the problems with the brand here in Ohio is solely the concern of former Governor Bob Taft but I think it goes beyond just that. Ohioans are fed up with the business-as-usual attitude that the Taft era politicans gave us and Jon Husted was a member of leadership at that time, so he is just as guilty as anybody. Does anybody really think that Chris Redfern and the Democrats won't use Taft's Speaker Husted as a prop for saying that the Ohio GOP hasn't changed? I can see that ad already...and the Facebook, Yahoo, and Google splashes too...

What does Jon Husted offer besides more headaches? This is a legitimate question I am asking here...