Thursday, January 21, 2010

Kevin DeWine Meddles In Auditor and AG Races

Just caught this bit in the Dayton Daily News:
Ohio Republican Chairman Kevin DeWine of Fairborn has asked Delaware County Prosecutor Dave Yost to consider running for state auditor, setting up a possible primary battle with state Rep. Seth Morgan, R-Huber Heights.

DeWine released this statement on Thursday, Jan. 21, as Morgan was officially launching his auditor campaign:

“Dave Yost is eminently qualified to run for auditor, having served as a county auditor and county prosecutor.
I haven't been working to get Dave Yost elected to Auditor. We need an Attorney General candidate that doesn't suck. Mike DeWine sucks. If Dave Yost goes along with this, I will be seriously disappointed in him, and this party.

I had been hearing rumblings about this all day including rumors that Yost himself had been calling high-level party members across the state regarding their support for the Auditor position. But I didn't believe it. I thought we had a candidate with some integrity and principle. Dare I say a true conservative... I have an email in to Dave Yost asking him about this situation and I have not heard a response. I guess we all know why now...

I am so disgusted I can't stand it.

All of this just to save Kevin's second cousin's political career. Not that it matters, because Rich Cordray is going to whip up on Mr. 60-40 Loser to Sherrod Brown and then maybe all of this nonsense will be over.

So much for the best week ever...the Ohio GOP just has to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

UPDATE: Just where does Kevin DeWine get off making this statement anyway? Has the State Central Committee endorsed anybody? As far as I know, they haven't. Based on my reporting yesterday, folks should know that Communications Director John McClelland was at least aware that this was going down and chose not to be completely honest with me when he said that Seth Morgan was on a list of candidates being considered. If that is the case, the consideration sure didn't last long.

I find it absolutely unbelievable that the Ohio GOP would take no position whatsoever on DeWine vs. Yost for AG when Yost has been racking up endorsements (he's 5 - 0 over Mikey) yet Seth Morgan can't even get his announcement out and here's Kevin DeWine publically endorsing a candidate.

Something smells very rotten. And a bridge of trust has just been burned by the Ohio Republican Party. I will NOT forget this...

UPDATE 2: Rose has more over at BizzyBlog.