Friday, August 27, 2010

Sheriff Spotlight Gets One Right

I've given this performance audit thing a thought or two and I have come to the conclusion that it is a waste of taxpayer dollars.

While I find his antics, as reported in the story, to be childish and the sort of rhetoric that is not helpful; I simply must agree with Sheriff Jones that this performance audit is nothing more than passing the buck (or 116,000 bucks, if you like) at a time when the county can ill-afford to spend more money that we really don't have available.

Look, I get that these are hard decisions and that our commissioners would like to have the very best information possible in order to make the decisions, but the time for that sort of "throw money at the problem" mentality is what got us in to this mess in the first place.

I know each of our commissioners are people of a certain character and I know they possess the ability to look at the numbers and make the right decisions. This isn't rocket science, after all. The problem with spending this kind of money on something we already know is that it makes those of us who defended the Commission in their fight with Sheriff Jones on the budget issue look bad. And I don't like looking bad one bit...

How many times do we have to pay other people to study our problems? No more committees. No more special audits. No more consultants. Let's get this done already.