Wednesday, October 27, 2010

On Free Trade

I keep seeing these ridiculous commercials where Democrat incumbent governor keeps slamming Republican challenger for having the gall to support free trade and I keep remembering this little exchange from one of my favorite episodes of the West Wing: ("Somebody's Going to Emergency, Somebody's Going to Jail")
Toby: You want the benefits of free trade? Food is cheaper.


Policewoman: Yes.

Toby: Food is cheaper! Clothes are cheaper, steel is cheaper, cars are cheaper ... Phone service is cheaper! You feel me building a rhythm here? That's because I'm a speech writer and I know how to make a point.

Policewoman: Toby.

Toby: It lowers prices, and it raises income. You see what I did with 'lowers' and 'raises' there? It's called the science of listener attention. We did repetition, we did floating opposites, and now you end with the one that's not like the others. Ready? Free trade stops wars. And that's it. Free trade stops wars, and we figure out how to fix the rest. One world, one peace... I'm sure I've seen that on a sign somewhere.
So, keep on trashing free trade Democrat incumbent, nobody is paying attention anyway...right?