Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Rep. Allen West (R-FL) Votes Against Three-Week Continuing Resolution

Release:
(WASHINGTON) --- Congressman Allen West (FL-22) today, along with 53 other Republican members of the House of Representatives, voted against the
three-week Continuing Resolution.

Below is an excerpt from the statement Congressman West entered into the Congressional Record:

"I rise today to take a stand, a stand that may not be popular with the Leadership of the House of Representatives, but a stand I must take because I believe we cannot kick the can down the road for even another three weeks. The American people recognize that we must no longer take these small calculated measures.

We are in this position today because the Democrats in the last Congress failed to pass a budget. The Democrats failed to show leadership last year and the President is showing a lack of leadership today. I will show what I consider appropriate leadership now and that's why I voted against this Continuing Resolution.

My “No” vote should not be construed as my willingness for a “government shutdown. My vote is based on a simple principle that we need to complete the federal budget for 2011.

We cannot wait any longer. The time has come to have this debate on federal spending and get our nation back on track by cutting spending for the long term economic restoration of our Republic."