Sunday, July 17, 2011

St. Rep. Mecklenborg to Resign August 2

Release:
(COLUMBUS) – Today, State Representative Robert P. Mecklenborg (R-Cincinnati) issued the following statement:

“It has been rewarding and humbling to serve the great people of western Hamilton County as their voice in state government. As a member of the Ohio House of Representatives, I believe that I have served well and faithfully my constituents of the 30th House District by focusing on the issues that matter a great deal to all Ohioans, including election reform, pro-life legislation, and a host of other priorities.

However, my recent actions have become a distraction to the additional important work that lies ahead for the members of the 129th General Assembly. Therefore, it is with a heavy heart that I resign from the Ohio House of Representatives effective August 2, 2011.

Most importantly, I want to sincerely apologize for any pain and embarrassment I have caused my family, my constituents, and my colleagues. I will be forever grateful to the many constituents and colleagues who have urged me to stay, but I believe it is in the best interests of my family and my constituents to step aside during this difficult time.”

In response to Rep. Mecklenborg’s resignation, Speaker William G. Batchelder (R-Medina) and Speaker Pro Tempore Lou Blessing (R-Cincinnati) offered the following statements:

“My friend and colleague Bob Mecklenborg has guided the Ohio House of Representatives with his expertise on a variety of legislative initiatives since he became a member,” Speaker Batchelder said. “As I have said before, Bob has been a dedicated public servant and his contributions to the Ohio House have been vital to the important work of this great institution. Bob has admitted his mistakes and, while difficult, I believe he has made the appropriate decision to step down as a member of the Ohio House of Representatives. I thank him for his dedicated and loyal service to the people of Ohio, particularly to the people of western Hamilton County.”

“As a friend and fellow member from Hamilton County, I believe Bob Mecklenborg has provided valuable insight on a number of legislative issues over the years,” said Rep. Lou Blessing.” His service will be missed but I am pleased that he has appropriately decided to put the interests of his family and constituents first by stepping down from the Ohio House. I echo Speaker Batchelder’s comments and wish Bob and his family all the best in the coming weeks and months ahead.”
Letter of Resignation:

Mecklenborg Resignation 7.17.11


Chairman Alex Triantafilou (Hamilton County GOP):
"Earlier today, State Representative Bob Mecklenborg announced his resignation from the Ohio House of Representatives. The Hamilton County Republican Party supports the decision of Rep. Mecklenborg to resign his position so that he can focus on his family and leave behind the distractions of public life. Before these recent personal revelations, Rep. Mecklenborg served his constituents diligently and he was among the most effective legislators in this state. Bob and his family will be in our thoughts as they move forward."