Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Speaker Batchelder Releases Statement on Supreme Court’s Reapportionment Ruling

Release:
COLUMBUS—In response to the Ohio Supreme Court’s ruling that the Ohio legislative districts drawn up in the 2012-2022 apportionment plan are constitutional, Speaker of the Ohio House William G. Batchelder (R-Medina) released the following statement:

“I am very pleased by the Supreme Court’s decision to uphold the constitutionality of the newly apportioned legislative districts. I have believed from the beginning that the good work of the apportionment board was well within the clear confines of the law and successfully created districts that will allow Ohioans to be appropriately represented in the Statehouse. I’d like to commend Governor Kasich, Senate President Niehaus, Secretary of State Husted and Auditor Yost for their tireless efforts to create fair and legal Ohio legislative districts in Ohio.

“Today’s decision is recognition that the current system was done fairly and appropriately. However, while I agree with the majority opinion of the Court, I do believe that the process for legislative reapportionment needs to be reviewed and examined for possible reform. I have said previously that the Constitutional Modernization Commission would be a perfect avenue for such discussions to take place and I maintain that same sentiment today.”