Thursday, January 29, 2004

Statue of Liberty



Speaking of DiscountBlogger...get this.

From the Washington Post:

The Statue of Liberty, a worldwide symbol of this nation's freedom, remains shuttered and closed to visitors more than two years after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

National Park Service officials say they cannot afford the estimated $5 million needed to build emergency exits and reopen the statue. So although tourists can ride a ferry across the harbor to Liberty Island, they cannot walk into the bronze monument, which has yellow police tape stretched around its perimeter.
...
"The city should not have to resort to bake-sale fundraising," said Rep. Carolyn B. Maloney (D-N.Y.). "Their failure to help Lady Liberty is an example of how they have failed to help New York."


Matt's Chat

I think Rep. Maloney is engaging in politically motivated rhetoric, but I would agree that the Statue of Liberty is an important symbol that should be fully open. But I think it would mean more if Americans would raise the money privately...

Mark's Remarks

I thought sure that Martin Scorsese among others were leading an effort to restore and refurbish the Lady Liberty. I thoughts sure that I saw a commercial or two for a fund or something. I might be wrong.