Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Tax-aquiddick

This story isn't getting as much national coverage as Ohio's "CoinGate" scandal...care to guess why? (Local6)
A bookkeeper for the Florida Democratic Party took the blame Tuesday for the party's failure to pay its Social Security and payroll taxes, and said she never informed her boss, gubernatorial candidate Scott Maddox.

In a letter to Maddox, Debbie Griffin-Bruton said the pressure from her job along with burden of caring for a husband with Alzheimer's disease made it difficult for her to perform her duties.

"Due to my embarrassment over my mistakes I was reticent to let anyone know of my failures," she wrote. "I regret that at no time did I inform you of my mistakes."

The Internal Revenue Service slapped a lien on the party last week for about $200,000 owed in taxes from 2003. The party had only $98,000 in its bank account.
I'm not trying to equate the two scandals, I just find it interesting that one story featuring Republican stupidity gets a LOT of coverage and another story featuring Democrat stupidity is buried...