Thursday, August 18, 2005

State of the Union Gets All Daily Kos On Us

Yesterday, the Republican Governor of Ohio, Bob Taft, was charged with four misdemeanors. The Ohio GOP blog, State of the Union, put up an update talking about the African-American vote. That was the big news of the day. Uh-huh.

A liberal jumped on it and asked when the update indicating that Taft had been charged would be posted. I voiced a similar criticism yesterday myself. Our good friend Viking Spirit indicated over there, as he did here, that he thought Taft ought to resign or be impeached. Both of these comments have been removed from State of the Union. Just like the Kossacks who don't appreciate a difference of opinion, State of the Union has removed comments critical of the governor without letting anybody know why.

Jason Mauk: I know you are doing internet searches and checking things out on the web, so I ask you directly - Why were these posts removed? And will you be answering the question of what is to be done about the Taft situation any time soon? Feel free to email me if you prefer privacy.

I never thought I'd see the Ohio GOP act like Kossacks...never...I'm shocked and very disappointed.

11:10AM Update

Yahoo News Alert:
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) Gov. Bob Taft's defense lawyer says he will plead no contest to ethics charges that he failed to report golf outings and other gifts.
Bob Taft should resign immediately. If he is unwilling to do so, he should face impeachment proceedings as soon possible.

3:10PM Updazte

Jason replid in comments here and over at Viking Spirit's place. Here are the comments Jason left here that I'd like to enter in to the WMD permenant record:
OK, guys, cut me some slack here. First of all, as I told Parker, I don't administer the Ohio GOP blog anymore. We hired a new communications director, and I am now focused exclusively on managing our political operations (though I do continue to track the blogs).

Second, Parker's comment was removed because it wasn't relevant to the post. Our rules are simple: 1) the comment must be relevant to the post, 2) the commenter must have a legitimate email address and 3) the comments must be respectful and without profanity.

We have since posted the governor's apology. Have at it.

Matt, you of all people should give me credit for allowing debate on the Ohio GOP blog. We could have easily done what most political parties and candidates do and blocked comments altogether, but we believe in a good debate. If we can't defend our positions, we don't expect you to listen to them.

If you want to criticize someone for not allowing comments on a blog, go visit Ted Strickland's site.
Jason, I've always been fair with you...you know that I criticize because I care and am worried about the direction that the Ohio GOP seems to be headed.

Which brings me to the last part of your comments...I'd like to think that Ohio Republicans are capable of setting a higher standard than Ted Strickland...this sort of thinking is what has gotten us to the place where we are...it isn't enough to point out Democrat hackery and call it an excuse for behavior... That I have to say this again tells me you haven't been tracking this blog well enough...

WMD is a group blog...and I am but one voice here in Ohio...but I think we've done some good work here, Jason... I know you are doing the best you can, but at some point, we're going to have to realize that there are some people with an 'R' after their names that need to be packing their bags. I shouldn't have to remind the political director for the state party that we have an election coming up...these things have consequences...they really do.

8/25 Update

Welcome Red-State.com readers! Please check out the rest of the blog here.