Wednesday, May 03, 2006

What I Learned

Here is a brief list of what I learned:
  • 1. A campaign manager has to be visible. He can't be tucked away in Washington available only by phone.


  • 2. Fundraising is important. Real important.


  • 3. Communications/PR is also important.


  • 4. Non-traditional campaign strategies must compliment/suppliment traditional strategies.


  • 5. Nice guys finish last.


  • 6. Carpetbaggers finish in second.


  • 7. Two-term incumbents are hard to beat. Real hard.


  • 8. The party establishment should stay out of primaries, but they won't.


  • 9. Candidates who have issue statements that read like bumper stickers aren't that bright, but that doesn't really matter much in the grand scheme of things.


  • 10. Endorsements don't mean a thing.
  • I'll have a more extensive post-mortem at some point when I look at all the final numbers and breakdowns, but these are my initial impressions...