Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Schmidt Newsletter: NATION'S OLDEST SERVING FEMALE POSTAL SERVIC E EMPLOYEE RIGHT HERE IN SOUTHERN OHIO

Washington , DC - One of the best aspects of my job is the wonderful people from Southern Ohio that I have the opportunity to meet. I am inspired by their stories, their struggles and successes, and their commitment and dedication to bettering our communities. From high school students and senior citizens to our farmers and members of the military, each contribute to our community in a meaningful way, and all have a story to tell.

I wish I could tell you about all of them, but the list is far too lengthy. However, every once in a while, I come across someone with a story so compelling I think everyone should hear it.

Did you know that out of the 700,000 United States Postal Service (USPS) employees nationwide, there are currently five individuals working for the USPS over the age of ninety? I didn't know that until I had the privilege of meeting the oldest serving female U.S. Postal Service employee in the nation working right here in Southern Ohio . At the age of 91, Verna Naylor is proudly serving as Bentonville's Postmaster in Adams County.

Verna's late husband Harry served as the Bentonville Postmaster until his death in 1968. Verna decided to take over his position as Postmaster, and she has been greeting her customers each morning in Adams County ever since. The Bentonville Post Office is a second home to the Naylor family. Her children fill in for her at the Post Office when she takes the occasional vacation day.

Verna has never taken a sick day and has no plans for retirement. She inspires everyone who meets her because she thrives on hard work, family and community. She is very humble and doesn't want a lot of fuss or attention for her work, but I believe Verna deserves recognition because she is such a good role model for all of us.

Over the years, she has kept up with the changing times, transitioning from keeping her postal records in a handwritten ledger to using a computer program. Where many of her contemporaries may have never even used a computer, technology is vital a part of Verna's daily business.

I had the opportunity to meet Verna and members of her family last week when I presented her with a Congressional Proclamation to recognize her service to Adams County and the United States Postal Service. Verna's story is truly what our great nation is all about. In our conversation, she said "I've never wanted any attention, I just wanted to provide excellent service to the citizens of Bentonville. I'll keep doing it as long as I can."

It is people like Verna Naylor, and others like her, who make our communities so special. She is the heart and soul of Bentonville, and we congratulate her for her tireless commitment and outstanding service.