Saturday, February 16, 2008

Voice of Common Man: Mary McElwee is My Choice

Bill"Voice of the Common Man"Cunningham thinks being a sheister attorney and a talk show host qualifies him to make an endorsement in the 12th District Court of Appeals race. From a letter received at the compound:
From the Desk of Bill Cunningham
My fellow Americans:
It is rare that I would communicate with you concerning a person seeking your vote for 12th District Court of Appeals. In fact, I have never done it before. But this year is different.

It is my duty as a lawyer and, indeed as a citizen, to ask for your vote on behalf of Magistrate mary McElwee for the 12th District Court of Appeals.

From my vantage point as a Radio Talk Show Host and commentator of conservative, family values, I've seen and interviewed practically every Judge, Politician, and news maker in our area. Of all I have know and met, I hold no person in higher professional regards than Mary McElwee.

I met Mary many years ago. Our families have remained very close over the yaers so I have watched her fabulous performance as a Magistrate. She is now willing to serve as an Appellate Judge where her humanity, intelligence, commitment to judicial excellence, and scholarship are sorely needed.

I realize that most citizens are not in a position to weigh the qualification of judicial candidates. Well, I am since it is my job as a talk show host. I consider it my duty, as a Great American, to urge you to vote on March 4th for Mary McElwee for Judge on the 12th District Court of Appeals.

God Bless America,
Bill Cunningham

OK, first, I don't appreciate Willie's rather elitist tone. And, I want to note that Magistrate McElwee entered the race a bit late and at least in Brown County, was not eligible by our bylaws to be considered for endorsement. If you would like more information on Magistrate McElwee, here is her website.

Magistrate McElwee will be having a get together Saturday 2/23/08 from 1-3 pm at the home of Mark and Beth Hiltz, two of her campaign chairs, where the guest of honor will be Mr. Cunningham. All contributions welcome. And there will be horsd'ouevers and refreshments. RSVP to Beth Hiltz at bhiltz at sibcycline dot com.

I have talked over the phone with Magistrate McElwee and believe she has some good credentials. She will be opposing Judge Robert Hendrickson in the Republican primary March 4th. Matt has covered Judge Hendrickson and his work can be found in the Butler County tag and the 12th district tag.

Magistrate McElwee has been endorsed by the Clinton County GOP as well as the Madison County GOP. She was not eligible to be endorsed by the Brown County GOP, who endorsed Judge Hendrickson.