Thursday, May 15, 2008

Betty Mongomery NOT for Attorney General

Over at Politics Extra, I saw this bit from Betty Montgomery's statement on the whole Marc Dann affair:
“As the difficulties of the office continued to unfold over these past weeks, I have been encouraged by many to consider running in the special election to be called this fall. I have been flattered by these suggestions. It has been a very tempting possibility to consider for many reasons. I loved my time in the office, and with the help of the wonderful professionals in that office, I do believe we were able to accomplish a great deal in the area of consumer advocacy, criminal prosecutions and in service to Ohio’s most vulnerable populations. I will always cherish my time in the office. I was truly blessed to be able to serve as the Attorney General.

“Having said that, I will not be a candidate for Attorney General in this fall's special election. After over 30 years of public service as Prosecutor, State Senator, Attorney General, and Auditor of State, it is time for me to take some time for my family and friends. I am truly grateful for the opportunity to serve that I was given by the citizens of Ohio. I look forward to helping in any way I can to help the office and the new Attorney General be successful in serving the needs of Ohio and its citizens.”
Betty, this is a smart move and a class act. If anybody had an argument to make for coming back after the '06 debacle, it was Betty Montgomery. But she has realized that her time on the public stage is done...I can think of more than a few others who should heed that lesson.