Friday, May 30, 2008

A Fresh Look at Ohio's Political Landscape

A few years ago, I wrote a piece for the Miami Vally Conservative Alliance in which I laid out analysis that Ohio was actually a Lavender State, despite the big wins by Ohio Republicans and President Bush in '04.

This map I put together has its flaws, which we can debate in the comments, but I think it illustrates fairly well what I think the reality of Ohio as a Purple State.



KEY:

Red = Counties won by Bush04 and Blackwell06
Purple = Counties won by Bush04 and Strickland06 OR Kerry04 and Blackwell06
Blue = Counties won by Kerry04 and Strickland06


NOTES / OBSERVATIONS:

  • There are LOTS of opportunites in southern Ohio for a conservative Democrat (that ain't Obama) to make inroads.


  • Northwest Ohio seems pretty solidly Republican as does most of Southwestern Ohio.


  • Northeast Ohio seems pretty solidly Democratic.


  • Central Ohio looks to be a free-for-all.


  • 6/4/08 UPDATE: There was interest among the NextRight readers of the piece based on this one for a map of the Clinton/Obama primary. Here it is...

    [Note to self: RE-PLACE THE CLINTON/OBAMA MAP - In the meantime, Obama won five counties, none of which were Purple, in fact, they are the BROWN and CYAN counties in the next map.]

    KEY:


    Cyan counties were won by Clinton in the Dem Primary

    Blue counties were won by Obama in the Dem Primary


    So the end result is this:



    KEY:

    Red = Counties won by Bush04 and Blackwell06
    Purple = Counties won by Bush04 and Strickland06 OR Kerry04 and Blackwell06
    Blue = Counties won by Kerry04 and Strickland06
    Brown = Red Counties that voted for Obama in Dem Primary of '08
    Cyan = Blue Counties that voted for Obama in Dem Primary of '08


    6/4/08 UPDATE 2: By request I have added in the keys for the two new maps. I have been informed that I mis-identified Lake County's voting record. I'll verify that and make appropriate changes as soon as I get a chance to do so.

    6/5/08 UPDATE 1: Lake County has been fixed (was inaccurately BLUE; now is PURPLE). I am not sure I can fix the graphic on NextRight as Photobucket is being really difficult to work with to replace the image.