Tuesday, November 16, 2010

DeMint on Portman and Earmarks

Senator Jim DeMint was asked a few questions for a piece over at National Journal which included this bit:
NJ: And what are you hearing from Colorado and Washington?

DeMint: Right now they’re too close to call. I suspect we’ll be doing recounts in Washington, which worries me. I think Dino Rossi’s lost a governor’s race or two out there when it seems votes start disappearing, so I don’t know what to expect. And of course Alaska is really important, and it looks like there are a lot of write-ins. What we don’t know at this point is how many of those write-ins are Lisa Murkowski’s and how many are others’. But it looks a little scary for Joe Miller in Alaska, but the good news is we saw such great victories in the House and for us in the Senate from Kelly Ayotte in New Hampshire and Pat Toomey in Pennsylvania, Marco Rubio, Florida; Rand Paul, Kentucky; Mike Lee, Utah; and Ron Johnson, Wisconsin. And others like Rob Portman, Mark Kirk — we’re going to have a great group of senators to help us turn things around. They’ve all run on earmark bans, which means we’ll focus on national interests rather than just bringing home the bacon.
Emphasis changed from the original.  
I don't recall Portman "running" on any issue other than jobs, but I suppose it is possible. 
 
Jobs, JOBS, jobs, Jobs, earmark ban, JOBS, Jobs, 9-page book, jobs, Jobs jobs jobs.
 
I suppose that could have happened.
 
For those of you who think I'm eing unfair to teh Senator-Elect, I'm really fully engaged in Verify, Then Trust mode particularly since Mr. Portman didn't have to break a sweat at all this cycle and answer any real hard questions.  So far, I like what I see...

UPDATE: On Twitter, Rob Portman says:
Looking forward to making progress today to help keep Washington in check.This includes work on unfunded mandates, entitlements, & earmarks.
Emphasis added.

So, solid positions taken so far by Portman include being for Jobs, Jobs, Jobs and against unfunded mandates, entitlements and earmarks. Got it.