Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Rep./Sen-Elect Mark Kirk's Brave Stand on Earmarks

Check out this email I got from Rep./Sen-Elect Mark Kirk of Illinois:
Dear Friends,

Today, the “Lame Duck” Congress begins. We face a unique situation of 1) completing the work of the old Congress, and 2) setting policy for the new Congress. I also have a unique position serving as your Congressman and as your Senator-elect.

One of the key decisions we have to make regards the earmark spending of the Congress. An “earmark” is a spending order by Congress for an individual item for a state or district not included in the President’s budget. Advocates of earmark spending highlight the special needs of each district/state and the ability of their elected members to address those needs. Opponents highlight our trillion-dollar deficit, the abuse of the current earmark system and the waste of projects like the Bridge-to-Nowhere.

Should Congress end the practice of earmarks?
Yes
No
Don't Know

I have very strong views on this issue which I will provide when I have heard from you.

Thank you for taking the time to share your views on this issue. Please feel to contact me if you have any issue of concern to you come before the Congress. You can call me at (847) 940-0202 or reach me on our web site at kirk.house.gov.

It is an honor to work for you in the Congress.


Sincerely,

Mark Kirk
Member of Congress
Kirk has such strong feelings that he will only reveal them after he's heard from his constituents! Can you feel the conviction?