Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Jarrod Martin Update: Kevin DeWine Calls for Resignation

Jarrod Martin, state representative, has chosen to try and stick it out after his drunken escapades have been made public. The Dayton Daily News has a piece up with Martin's doubling down. Let's start with what he has to say:
“I am not resigning,” Martin said Tuesday. “With all due respect to the party leaders, I don’t answer to them. My constituents are the ones who voted me in.

“That’s one of the reasons we have elections every two years. If they want to vote me out next year, then so be it. I’ve never quit anything in my life, and I don’t plan to start now.”
They don't have elections every two years because some state representative might have problems with the drinky. They hold elections every two years to hold state representatives accountable for the legislative accomplishments.

Speaker Batchelder's spokesman:
“Given the circumstances surrounding the multiple incidents, he believes it would be in the best interest of his family and the (House Republican) caucus if Rep. Martin were to resign,” said Batchelder spokesman Mike Dittoe.
Dittoe was called to "rescue" Martin in a previous episode...

ORP Chairman Kevin Dewine issued a statement as well:
“His behavior is unbecoming of an elected official and the right thing for him to do is to resign,” said DeWine, who used to hold the seat now occupied by Martin. He said he had been silent until now because he wanted to give Martin the chance to “do the right thing” on his own.
This is zero tolerance. I applaud the chairman for finally speaking on this issue and I hope that his message is one that resonates with the entire party. Embarrassing misconduct ought not acceptable just because we share the same political affiliation.

Again, I hope and pray that Rep. Martin gets the help he so clearly needs.