Press Release from Team Boehner:
I've heard all of this before. He's tough. He'll cry his way to victory...or something. I've seen this movie and I know how it ends: With the Tan Man caving...again...to Obama while America still suffers the effects.Here is what you need to know:
- Last year, the House passed legislation authorizing the House to file litigation challenging President Obama’s unilateral changes to ObamaCare. Litigation was filed on November 21, 2014, and oral arguments were first heard in House v. Burwell in Washington, DC on May 28, 2015.
- On September 9, 2015, a federal court ruled that the House of Representatives has standing to challenge one of President Obama’s unilateral changes to ObamaCare.
How is President Obama ignoring the rule of law?
- Under the leadership of Speaker Boehner, this is the first time in Congressional history that the House has successfully challenged the Executive Branch in this manner.
What does this ruling mean?
- The Obama Administration is unlawfully giving away billions of taxpayer dollars to insurance companies. This is money that was never appropriated, so the administration is using taxpayer funds from a separate account, subverting Congress’s “power of the purse.”
- This is a big victory: The House can now move forward and challenge the president’s unlawful implementation of ObamaCare.
- This is a major step in defending the Constitution: The House of Representatives is asking the Judiciary to protect the “power of the purse” and reject President Obama’s executive overreach.
- This is a “blow to the Obama Administration": Under the Constitution, Congress has the sole power to change the law. This ruling is a major step for Congress to preserve the separation of powers.Time and again, the president has chosen to ignore the will of the American people and re-write the law on his own without a vote of Congress. That’s not the way our system of government was designed to work. That is why Congressman Boehner will continue to lead the charge in protecting the Constitution and stopping President Obama’s executive overreach.