Friday, June 25, 2004

Calabresi Expresses Regret

From ABC News:
A federal judge offered his "profound regret" Thursday for saying President Bush's rise to power was similar to that of Mussolini and Hitler.

Judge Guido Calabresi, 71, of the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Manhattan, drew an audible gasp from lawyers attending Saturday's convention of the American Constitution Society in Washington, according to the New York Sun, which quoted the speech in Monday's editions.

"My remarks were extemporaneous and, in hindsight, reasonably could be and indeed have been understood to do something which I did not intend, that is, take a partisan position," Calabresi wrote in a letter of apology to Chief Judge John Walker.

Matt's Chat

Calabresi is pretty much a partisan regardless of his assertion here. And really, I don't have a problem with that. My issue is that he undermined confidence in the judicial process by making known his views.

I'm not a "guilt by association" kind of guy, but these folks tend to stick together, if you know what I mean. His wife is quite the liberal activist. Circumstantial evidence, I know, but... I honestly don't believe he is "sorry" for espousing his views; he's sorry because it has become an embarrassment for the court.

That's my analysis of it, for what its worth.

Mark's Remarks